The New Year is often a time of personal reflection about life and priorities. Google the phrase,“New Year’s Resolutions,” and you’ll see a familiar list of topics held out year after year as the path to a better life. They include perennial favorites such as eating more healthy fully, beginning an exercise program, reducing stress, quitting smoking, reading more, etc. But what is truly at the essence of all of these resolutions is an attempt to improve the quality of one’s life. To make the current reality the best it can be, and to make a version of one’s self that is the best version possible. Inevitably, this discussion needs to include a person’s work life. Whether it’s in an office, a hospital, a college or university, on the road as part of a sales force or working inside the home, the way people live AND work contribute equally to their overall quality of life.
At Sodexo, we have spent a significant amount of time thinking about quality of life. About what it means for us as a company, for our employees and clients, and for society as a whole. In fact, we do more than just think about it. We’ve invested resources into studying this topic – and have funded a Quality of Life Institute to delve into Quality of Life issues in the workplace. It’s quite simple: we believe that as businesses – and as a society – to create value, we must make people’s well-being a priority. By focusing on improving Quality of Life, we can drive individual and collective performance.
Today, January, 30, 2015, we are launching a digital movement to begin a conversation about quality of life. As part of our International BlogIt Day, we are inviting bloggers from around the world to join us in talking about what influences quality of life at work. We have a few ideas. But we really want to hear from you – from employees everywhere – to help take this conversation to the next level. We invite you to join us today, or any day going forward, and blog about Quality of Life at work. If you use the hashtags #QoL and #Sodexo, we’ll be sure to see you and take note.
As I mentioned, we have a few thought-starters We’ve researched this topic, and have determined six dimensions we feel are paramount to quality of life, and we focus on these uniquely:
- Social Interaction – all factors that strengthen the bonds among individuals and facilitate access to culture & leisure.
- Ease & Efficiency – factors that impact an individual’s ability to carry out activities with ease and minimal disruptions. Physical
- Environment – everything that contributes to an individual’s comfort and sense of safety, from building maintenance to comfortable and safe work spaces
- Personal Growth – refers to everything that allows and individual to learn and progress.
- Recognition – Encompasses all factors that allow an individual to feel truly valued.
- Health & Well-Being – promoting a healthy lifestyle through nutritious meals, a well-balanced diet and exercise.
Join the conversation – visit www.qualityoflifeobserver.com for more information and look for news about our upcoming Quality of Life Conference in May in New York City.
These are a solid start. But they aren’t intended to tell the whole story. Please join us today for #BlogIt Day to begin this conversation. Working together, we can start to have a societal conversation about Quality of Life and work toward improvements for us all.
To Learn more about Sodexo and our Quality of Life Services visit us at www.Sodexousa.com.