It’s a message that never gets old; take care of your body and mind and they will take care of you. In the line of business I’m in –improving the Quality of Life for those my team serves – it’s a professional hazard not to care for myself. My brain rationally understands this fact, yet my body gets caught in the everyday currents of travel, team meetings, tackling operational challenges with my Onshore Energy client partners. Somewhere along the way, my whole self-care gets lost and my emotional and physical tank is left on E for Empty. That means it’s time to bring it back to basics.
As we wrap up the summer moving into another season and yet another year, I remind myself of the importance of stopping to assess what my mind, body and spirit need to be strong enough to serve those around me. Words I offer up to everyone. Here are a couple of ways to get whole and get centered:
- Eat a Healthy diet – not sometimes – all the time.
- Make time for physical activity (10,000 steps a day really helps).
- Up your long game mindset.
- Stop making excuses.
- Learn more skills and expand them.
- Don’t shoot for perfectionism. It’s a perception that will never be real.
- Stop multitasking. It eats up more of your longer-term energy.
- Stop trying to control everything. Ask for help to free you up to do more.
- Say “No” if it doesn’t support your goals.
- Attract and keep positivity around you. It gives you good energy.
- Be authentic. Don’t compromise who you are to be liked.
- Stop wasting time. Make the most of the 24 hours in a day.
In the end, never stop creating your legacy. Do the things that enrich your life. That’s the real secret to taking care of your whole self. Be well.